With the holidays right around the corner, many parents in Nashville and throughout Tennessee already have lists in hands of all the latest and greatest toys their little ones want. However, one public research group is urging parents to do the research before buying gifts, as there are a number of dangerous toys that are out on the market.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, in 2010 more than 250,000 children ended up in emergency rooms due to toy-related injuries. Of those, while many children received injuries and were later released, 17 actually ended up dying. The commission states one of the top reasons for death was choking on either balloons or the small parts of toys.
Of course for any parent this would be their worst nightmare: Buying a child a toy that is supposed to bring joy, but ends up bringing harm instead.
That is why parents are urged this holiday season to make sure that their child is age appropriate for a toy. Additionally, proper research on the toy should be done beforehand, as some toys are known to even have high levels of toxic substances, like lead.
Additionally, parents are also being told to actually physically test out whether a toy is a choking hazard before giving it to a child. This can be done by simply taking something that has the opening similar in size and shape to that of a toilet-paper roll cylinder, and dropping the toy down. If the toy easily fits, then it should be considered a choking hazard.