- Articles (5)
- Aviation Accident (2)
- Birth injury (6)
- Bus Accidents (5)
- Car Accidents (208)
- Drunk Driving Accidents (4)
- Firm News (39)
- Medical Malpractice (103)
- Medication Errors (1)
- Personal Injury (101)
- Premises Liability (2)
- Product Liability (22)
- Railroad Accidents (1)
- Tort Reform (5)
- Truck Accidents (58)
- Workplace Accidents (12)
- Wrongful Death (46)
Kinnard, Clayton & Beveridge attorney Daniel L. Clayton was recently recertified as a civil trial advocate by the ...
An article recently published by the Tennessean reports that a single building inspector’s mistake allowed at least 85 ...
Attorney Daniel L. Clayton Named 2018 "Lawyer of the Year", Selected to the 2018 List of The Best Lawyers in America© With Attorneys Randall L. Kinnard, Mark S. Beveridge and Mary Ellen Morris
We are proud to announce that Kinnard, Clayton & Beveridge partner Daniel L. Clayton was named the 2018 Nashville ...
19 pedestrians have been killed in car accidents in Nashville, TN this year, a new city record, with another month and a ...
Dangerous Bacteria in Alcohol Swabs Suspected in Infant's Death
Posted By Kinnard, Clayton & Beveridge || Mar 25, 2011
Our firm has received calls asking about the dangers of alcohol wipes or swabs that may have become contaminated with harmful bacteria. People are quite justifiably concerned, because such contamination can cause life-threatening infections in children and adults with compromised immune systems.
Last November, a 2-year-old boy in Texas died suddenly from what is suspected to have been meningitis brought on by a contaminated alcohol wipe. The boy, Harrison Kothari, had been in the hospital for the removal of a benign cyst. He was healthy and nearly ready to go home after the surgery. But then a bacterial infection suddenly spread throughout his body. With six hours, the resulting meningitis had left him brain-dead.
Harrison's devastated parents made the decision to take him off artificial life-support the next day. They have brought a wrongful death action against Triad Group, a Wisconsin-based medical products manufacturer that made the alcohol wipes that were used on Harrison. Instead of sterilizing his wound, the family contends those wipes may have contributed to causing his death.
Triad subsequently issued a recall of alcohol wipes, swabs, swabsticks and pads. The company claimed that the recall was due to an "abundance of caution." But it has now also stopped making the alcohol wipes entirely.
The Food and Drug Administration has been concerned about the safety of alcohol sterilization products for some time. A recent FDA inspection report described instances where employees of medical products companies pack acne pads into containers with their bare hands. The FDA is now investigating Triad and its manufacturing and packaging processes.
If you have questions about alcohol swabs, product liability, or other issues, contact us for more information.