Board-Certified Medical Malpractice Specialist
As a Civil Trial Specialist certified by the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification and a Board-Certified Medical Malpractice Specialist, Daniel L. Clayton is a highly knowledgeable legal professional. More than that, he is extremely compassionate and understanding. He knows that his clients are going through difficult situations, whether due to a serious accident or incident of medical malpractice.
Daniel L. Clayton has been selected to the 2021 Mid-South Super Lawyers list. In addition, he is also listed in the Top 100 Lawyers in Tennessee and Top 50 Lawyers in Nashville. Super Lawyers recognize attorneys who have distinguished themselves in their legal practice.
A Strong Track Record of Success
Daniel has had great success in and out of the courtroom on behalf of injury victims, which has led to him giving numerous presentations across Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia. He has tried cases in surrounding states such as Alabama and Kentucky.
Daniel has secured impressive case results over the years. He has resolved several high-profile cases, earning local and national media attention. With a fellow member of Kinnard, Clayton & Beveridge, Daniel Clayton obtained a $22 million jury verdict—the largest medical malpractice verdict in the history of the state for a single person.
From car accidents and medical malpractice claims to birth injuries and brain damage, Daniel has the legal expertise to handle a diverse range of cases.
When not working on a case for one of his clients, Daniel enjoys spending time outdoors. He can be found running in a marathon, fishing, playing golf with his son and son-in-law, or competing in a game of tennis. Above all else, Daniel enjoys spending quality time with his family.
Awards & Accolades
- Best Lawyers in America since 2010
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Selected to the Mid-South Super Lawyers (2006-2021)
- Top 50 Lawyers in Nashville by Super Lawyers® (2012-2021)
- Top 100 Lawyers in Tennessee by Super Lawyers® (2007, 2010-2021)
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- 2022 Nashville "Lawyer of the Year" for Personal Injury Litigation
- 2020 Nashville "Lawyer of the Year" for Medical Malpractice law
- 2018 Nashville "Lawyer of the Year" for Medical Malpractice law
- 2016 Nashville “Lawyer of the Year” for Product Liability Law
- 2015 Nashville "Lawyer of the Year" for Medical Malpractice Law
- 2012 Nashville "Lawyer of the Year" for Medical Malpractice Law
- AV Preeminent® rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Voted "Best of The Bar" by Nashville Business Journal (2021,2020)
- Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association (President, 2008-2009)
- Nashville Bar Foundation (President: Board of Trustees)
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Jan. 2021)
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American College of Barristers (Senior Counsel)
Daniel also believes in giving back to the community, serving as a leader in this area. Growing up with a family that cared about service and giving back to others, community involvement comes naturally to Daniel. He has served on the Franklin Special School District Board of Education and led many mission teams to Mexico, Jamaica, and around the U.S.
Daniel and his wife served as foster parents to 28 children, including children with special needs, over a 17 year period of time through the Williamson County Department of Children’s Services. Other organizations Daniel and his family support include Graceworks Ministries, Faith Family Medical Clinic, and Mercy Children’s Medical Clinic.
University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee - 1987
- Honors: National Semifinalist Member, National Trial Moot Court Team
David Lipscomb University - 1984